Aldi-Only Challenge Week 12: $68.99 and Confessions
This was my last week of my Aldi-Only Challenge and I was very happy to stay under my $100 budget each week. My weekly average was $60.78 - well under my goal. If you are willing to be less brand-loyal and a little flexible in your meal planning, then I think staying under $100 for a family of 4 is very doable on a weekly basis. Carolyn always reminds me that my boys are 1 and 5 and that this will be a very different story as their appetites grow. I have no doubt I will need to increase the budget when my boys turn into human garbage disposals in their teen years, but for now I will celebrate this accomplishment as a win!
A few confessions:
- I did purchase KC Strips at Sam's Club and our local butcher shop. The KC Strips that ALDI carries as of now are not on par with the thick, fresh cuts we get elsewhere.
- My husband purchased name brand pop that ALDI doesn't offer for his lunches. We have tried the Dr.Pepper and Cola-type at ALDI and he is not a fan.
- I lived off of some of stockpile from my pantry, freezer, and garden for awhile so that kept my totals lower in the first few weeks.
Since I am starting to believe someone at ALDI actually reads our blog, here is my pre-Christmas wish list for items I would like to see ALDI carry. Once again, thank you for rolling out coconut oil!
This week's list:
- Frozen Meals (2) $.99
- Whole Milk (2) $5.00
- Pumpkin Coffee $2.99 -markdown bin!
- Premium Coffee $4.99
- Whole Wheat Bread $1.29
- Halloween Door Decoration $4.99 - Half-price Halloween items
- Oregano $.99
- Plain Bagels $1.69
- Unsweetened Almond Milk $2.49
- Organic Salsa $1.99
- Sour Cream $1.29
- Onions $1.89
- Wipes (3) $2.55
- Diapers $4.99
- Kitchen Trash Bags $4.99
- Organic Pasta Sauce $1.79
- Organic Bananas $1.28
- Provolone Slices $2.19
- Mozzarella $1.89
- Pineapple $1.29
- String Cheese $2.79
- Flour Tortillas $1.19
- Sharp Cheddar $1.89
- Tax $5.58
Meal Plan 11/8/2014-11/14/2014
Saturday: Bagels and Cream Cheese, Leftovers, Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Sunday: Egg in the Hole, Soup and Sandwich, Birthday Party for Dinner
Monday: Mac and Cheese and Peas
Tuesday: Cali Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
Wednesday: Ziti and Greenbeans - I hope to post the Ziti recipe this week
Thursday: Cream Cheese Enchiladas
Friday: Take Out