Greek Quinoa Salad
I was a little doubtful about having quinoa cold, but this salad was amazing! I am using the leftovers on top of baby spinach as an actual salad, but I served it last night as a side with soup. The original inspiration recipe can be found at Allrecipes.com I made quite a few tweaks to keep it vegetarian and 100% ALDI, so I figured I better write down what I did before I forgot. The picture does not do it justice at all, so keep an open mind. Some of these ingredients are only seasonally available at ALDI, so stock up when you get the chance.
Serves 6, $.79/serving
(*) ingredients available USDA organic at ALDI
2 c. vegetable broth or stock (or chicken if you don't need it vegetarian)*
1 clove garlic
1 c. uncooked quinoa, rinsed*
1 large red onion, diced (or 1/2 yellow onion)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. chopped kalamata olives*
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese (omit if you want vegan)
2 T. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. sea salt
juice of 1 lemon
1 T. balsamic vinegar*
1/4 c. olive oil*
1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
1. Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan with a lid. Once boiling reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare vegetables, olives, and beans.
3. When quinoa is done, transfer to a large bowl. I prefer to use one with a lid so that I can transfer to the fridge easily.
4. Mix all of the remaining ingredients into the bowl with the quinoa.
5. Enjoy warm, or refrigerate and serve cold.