I absolutely LOVE Carolyn's recipe for Baked Eggplant Parmesan. I spotted a grilled eggplant sandwich online when looking for other ideas for what to do with eggplant when it gets to be such a good deal and had this idea for a revamped BLT. I fed it to my husband and he scarfed it up and then said, "That was good. What was it?" You could very easily make a batch of the cutlets one night and use half as Eggplant Parmesan and then the other half in these tasty sandwiches. They reheat nicely in a skillet. Very affordable recipes when eggplant gets down to $.99 at ALDI!
Cost approx $.70 per sandwich.
- 1 eggplant, peeled (opt.) and sliced approx. 1/4"-1/2" thick
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. Italian bread crumbs - or make your own
- 2-4 T. olive oil
- 1 tomato, sliced
- lettuce or greens, torn into sandwich size pieces
- mayo - I prefer ALDI's organic SimplyNature Mayonnaise
- Sandwich Buns or Sliced Bread
- Preheat oven to 375* and spread a baking sheet with a light layer of olive oil.
- Peel and slice eggplant. Beat eggs in a small bowl. (see Carolyn's recipe for making the eggplant cutlets with ziplock baggies.)
- Place breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs getting a nice layer of coating on them. Place on oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 min. then flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, I toast my bread with a light layer of butter or olive oil. I then prepare the sandwich with lettuce, tomato slices, and a smear of mayo.
- Stack each sandwich with 1 large or several small eggplant cutlets. Serve warm.