Whole Wheat Pancakes with Blueberries
This is my go-to recipe for pancakes when we need a quick breakfast. I used to buy pancake mix but once I read the ingredient list, I decided this is "cleaner" and almost as quick. I figured out to let the batter rest a bit while I heat the pan so that the whole wheat flour has a chance to soften. My boys love these with blueberries. Whole wheat flour is back right now at ALDI.
2 c. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T sweet- choose from cane sugar, honey, maple syrup, OR agave nectar
2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. coconut oil - melted
Optional: fresh or frozen blueberries, chocolate chips, banana slices, granola
1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. Whisk in eggs and milk until well combined.
3. Melt oil and pour in slowly while mixing batter. Coconut oil will turn back to a solid when it hits the cold batter. I find mixing while you stir helps prevent oil clumps.
4. Heat a skillet to medium heat. You may need to oil your skillet to prevent sticking. Your pan is the right temperature when a drop of water sizzles when it hits the pan.
5. Pour approx. 1/3 c. of batter into small circles in the skillet. If you are adding blueberries or other mix-on, sprinkle them on now.
6. Once bubbles have formed and are popping in the middle of your pancake, go ahead and flip it. Allow to cook on the other side for a minute or two.